Friday 11 September 2009

first effort, new style

This morning I had five drawings lined up to practice the new style on .
Here's the first one, a chunky running puppy .

Here's the painting after I had laid all the base washes for background and pup.

I was surprised how wet the first washes were - its a long time since I used a squirrel mop brush. I had time to drive down to the local farm shop a couple of miles away and get some more food for Missy. When I came home it still wasn't completely dry!

Then came the building up of the other washes. For the pup, there were no step by step instructions, so I winged it a bit. I'm quite pleased with the result though. Here it is:


Next time I paint, I think instead of doing a small 3x4 square as this pup was, I shall paint it large - 15x11 probably. Then I can really let the paint flow!
I hope you're enjoying the journey with me :)

8 comments:

  1. I really enjoy following the painting steps. The pup looks alive, happy and active to me. I get a feel for him and could reach out and hug him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like the steps. I'm never sure if people find those boring.

    So delighted you get a feel for him and think he's alive, happy and active!
    That's about the best critique I could ask for. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat, he's gorgeous! Very well done, it was worth being patient.

    The first wash looked interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Beryl xx

    That first picture is actually a graduated wash of three colours as a base and then a second wash of the same colours added in, only in selected areas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love him Pat--he looks kind of out of focus to me but that's what I think makes him interesting. And yep he looks ready to jump off the page.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He does look as if he's in soft focus - definitely not the way I usually paint. Wilbur was pin sharp.
    But this little guy does have a certain something, which I can't pin down in words yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is the word Motion--he looks like he's in motion. You can just see the energy in him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. More than just motion, I think - there's an "aliveness" about him too. Only I don't think that's a real word!

    ReplyDelete


Related Posts with Thumbnails