Monday 10 August 2009

Inspiration

Sometimes I am asked, where do you get your inspiration for paintings from?

The answer is - many places.
As with the painting of St Nicholas Church, it was from seeing the thing in front of me and thinking "that'll make a good painting"

In the case of the painting below it was some words from a song.
The song spoke of someone's love slipping through their fingers.
That made me think how can you portray love slipping through someone's fingers?
Suddenly the words to another song popped into my brain.. sowing the seeds of love.

Now it was easy - find a model to hold their hands in a cup shape (my husband was very handy at this point!) and draw from there. The hands were also roughened up a bit to represent a farmer's hands - for who else would be sowing? Add in some seeds and I have a painting.

A painting that speaks of love.
On a few levels...

On one level - that all the time we win, we lose, we are still sowing the seeds of future love.
On another level, it speaks of the love of a farmer for his land, and the love invested in growing for the future.
And on one more level, it speaks of the One Great Farmer, who holds us all in His hands, and the love He sows.

"Sowing the Seeds"

2 comments:

  1. This one made my heart stop. So breathtaking to me. I like artwork that makes you stop and think. Very wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like it Tonya.
    It is very special to me and its new owner too - who bought an old preacher farmer's house to renovate. This will be the first thing you see as you enter the house! What an honour, eh?

    And there's a story to quite a few of mine :)

    ReplyDelete


Related Posts with Thumbnails